Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Onion Festival

I'm trying to partake of Swiss cultural events and festivals as much as I can. The last Monday of November is the annual onion festival in Bern. I had just arrived back from Malaysia the night before, but as it comes only once a year, I went. Who knows where we'll be in a year? Sadly, it was a rainy day. Would have been much more fun in dry weather.


A very large majority of those booths were selling either onions or onion products (soup, cakes - like quiche, decorations)


that's a lot of onions!










had to get myself an onion necklace

How many creatures can you make out of onions?

for Alicia - would have bought one for her and hoped it would last but it was 20CHF!!


for Sarah
photo credit to Lisa O'Hearn


Walking through the market, we never knew when some children would fling confetti at us. Sadly, a bit got in my gluhwein, but I was almost done anyway. 









 
photo credit to Lisa O'Hearn
onion soup being served




















My onion festival companions: 
Marisel and Eva













Stopped at a cafe to sample the specials of the day. I forgot to take a picture of the onion "cake", but both were good.
waiter called himself "Paparazzi" and took this picture