Monday, February 23, 2015

Project Purge

As many of you know, the tenants in our NJ house moved out in June. We left the house vacant as we pondered where we would be next and our options with the house. In order to avoid big tax penalties, the owners must live in the house two of the last five years of ownership. That means selling by September 2015 or living in it for at least two years after repatriation. We opted for renting now and living in Westfield again in the future. We will be able to take our time deciding where we want to be. 

One of the things I've always loved about this house is our chandelier. When the morning sun comes in the large front window, the crystals make rainbows appear on the walls. I think it's stunning and I appreciated seeing it again very much.

In order to prepare the house for rent, Tom and I took a recent trip to the US. I call our trip "Project Purge". Since our former tenants were folks we knew, we left the house partially furnished avoiding any storage costs. This time, we were emptying the house requiring plenty of sorting. We also were puging things that we'd have to pay to store but didn't have interest in anymore.  I was dreading the project thinking it would be overwhelming. Having a concrete deadline and flights booked to return to Switzerland, there could be no dillydallying. 

Shortly before the trip, I had read an article about the struggles inherent in downsizing. It suggested looking at the item in question and asking yourself "does it bring me joy?" If not, let it go. Another suggestion was to take photos of things that you want to remember, but not necessarily own before releasing them. I kept these suggestions in mind as we worked.

Every box in the attic and basement was opened and sorted.  In nearly every case, a gem or two was found which was our reward for the effort. One of the most special items was the program from the 1980 Christmas Eve church service in the Wayne, NJ Methodist church. It lists the different pieces I played during the service. It was a few days after this service that Tom and I spoke for the first time, him complementing my play. After my graduation in 1981, we began dating and we married in 1982. I didn't take a picture of the program, but it was saved.

 
I guarantee that some of my gems would not be important to you. For instance, this nearly full bottle of the best valve oil. The bottle I have here in Switzerland is much less full and I was wondering when I could fit in an errand to buy some and where to go. VoilĂ ! Now I won't need any more for quite a while.




Another prize were the packets of tablets to add to Christmas tree water to keep the tree fresh longer. I have never seen this for sale in Switzerland and quickly decided to bring them here.









Sarah and Alicia both came to NJ to help go through their things. The task wasn't so big for Sarah since she had sorted some of her things already over the years since she moved out. Alicia had a bigger job, but seemed to enjoy the trip down memory lane for the most part. Of course, getting them together always prompts me to ask whether we can take some pictures. We don't see each other all that often and I don't like missing an opportunity. Their hair color also changes often enough that new pictures are needed.


I got the pictures, but also some goofiness.  Sarah found some necklaces to keep and wearing them all was the easiest way to transport them.
beautiful teeth!

scarf made by Sarah!

Anthony does not particularly care for having his picture taken, but I was able to grab one in a lighthearted moment. Sarah and Anthony make a cute couple. I'm not biased. 




Tom and the girls

I'm really not that short - Alicia and Sarah are standing on the hearth.
Those of you following the weather in the northeast, or suffering through it, will realize that our trip coincided with severely cold temperatures and snow. As usual, I flew in and out of Boston. It was the first time I'd seen Westport with snow. Seemed very odd.

standing in our driveway looking towards our pier

harbor at Westport Point

Harbor Master isn't going anywhere!



What possessed me to think I would be able to park and walk the snowy beach? Of course, the parking lot was not cleared! 
dunes at Horseneck State Beach

Horseneck State Beach

causeway to Gooseberry was also closed

want to go kayaking?
Our pier is on the right. Snow completely covers part of our neighbor's pier! 


Tom and I worked hard and had little time for visiting friends. We accomplished the task - the process was actually a bit liberating. We left many boxes of books to be donated, an assortment of some of the better items for a garage sale, blankets for Agape, old towels for an animal shelter, and a large pile to be donated to a charity that will come collect it. (I usually donate to the Lupus Foundation.) It feels good to be on the other side. We still have stuff we don't need, but the next time we go through this project it won't be so daunting.