Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Home Leave 2015

Just like the last two years, home leave came in two parts:  one trip in June and another that spanned part of August and part of September. The purpose was only partially vacation, but mostly visiting family and friends and participating in special events.


My June trip was timed just right to join friends, Pam and Lynn, for a night in NYC to see An American in Paris.


 




























Less than a week later, I joined Pam, Lynn and my sister, Karen, for another Broadway show, On the 20th Century, starring Kristin Chenoweth.  Lucky me - two shows in a week!! Very different, but both very fun.



A priority of every stateside visit is a trip to see my parents in Lititz, PA.  To use their words, they're perking along. 

 



 
A highlight was time spent with both daughters, although not at the same time.  Alicia gave me a tour of Boston College, where she is a grad student. 

pretty campus



Kilroy (aka Alicia) was here

BC in flowers














While in NJ, Sarah and I met at a typical diner in her area for breakfast.

I didn't spend much time in Westport, but enough to take a long walk on the beach with a cousin on Tom's side of the family, Deb. We walked a long time and never ran out of things to talk about! 

we're very tall!


always windy on the beach






The timing of my second trip was determined by our niece's wedding on September 5th. Tom could only spend two weeks stateside with the wedding on the middle weekend. I went two weeks ahead of him to do the business side of the trip (NJ house), visit my parents and have some playtime in MA too. After a recovery day in Westport, I began my journey towards PA, this time stopping in NJ on the way. It's wonderful to have a place to stay with friends in Westfield. This trip was especially nice because Alicia came with me - I had company in the car and somebody to share some of the driving. 


Our visit in Lititz was extra special because my sister, Janis and her son, Dale, were able to come as well. We took plenty of pictures, but I'll just share a few. 

with the two youngest grandchildren

sisters!
 
all of us
My time in NJ happened to be in mid-August - perfect for celebrating Sarah's birthday with her. She suggested going to the China through the looking glass exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum in NYC. I loved walking around the exhibit with her - lots of very cool outfits all displayed on mannequins with gold heads. Sarah is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about fashion. 


 













And from postcards:




This headdress is called "Chinese Garden" and was made  from carved cork in 2005. Would you want to wear it on your head? I'd be afraid to move!
 





















After our time at the museum, we went to Gordon Ramsay's restaurant, Maze. We shared many small plates of a wide variety of delicious food. When the waiter mentioned that he wasn't going to charge for Sarah's second drink, I told him that was very nice considering it was her birthday. He brought an extra plate with the desserts. The ice cream had a candle and happy birthday was written on the plate in chocolate. Nice touch.
  

 

Back in Westport, Lynn and Pam came up for some girl time at the cottage. We always have fun together. 






empty lifeguard chair was too tempting to pass up



day trip to Martha's Vineyard to visit Phil and Jane Dietterich
 

 
Mom to be

I was very pleased that my trip also allowed me to attend the baby shower of our niece, Cathy. Alicia and I drove from Westport to CT for the event. 


 









One week later, we were gathering in Newport to celebrate our niece Colleen's wedding to Omar. The night before the wedding we had a chance to meet Omar for the first time and have dinner with the family. 

Colleen and Omar

Cathy and Mark



dads
there's always a bit of silliness


































Sarah and Cathy





























Since the wedding was in the evening, we had plenty of time to play in Newport. The International Tennis Hall of Fame is always a good destination and we hadn't been there in many years. There is a museum and courts that are actively used.


this court seems to be just for show



David was playing on one of the courts behind me



that's a lot of tennis balls!


Steffi!



trophies have grown over the years



look closely - do you see Tom's feet?

Walking along the water requires taking pictures of boats!




approaching the venue

The wedding was beautiful, although a bit hard on the eyes with the sun setting behind the bride and groom. I was so glad I kept my sunglasses with me!

 



Congratulations Colleen and Omar!

two of the four bridesmaids were pregnant

With all the family together, what should we do? Take pictures!




Sarah and Alicia with cousins Dale and Jess

I love my two beautiful and smart daughters - I'm not biased!
love these two, too!



 
hopefully we are recognizable dressed up
with Karen, mother of the bride


















And now for some silly ones:

just a little silly














more

even more!


This was just the warm up. At the reception, we had the opportunity for more goofy pictures. Props were provided. Fun!


flashing light sabres also provided

I think the bride is having a good time!

Mark, Cathy, Sarah


Mark was a good sport. I don't know if he enjoys dancing, but he didn't mind being part of the cousin dance group.
Alicia, Mark, Sarah
























Sarah and Alicia were pros at the photo booth- definitely knew how to ham up the pictures. They also gave us some tips about changing props between pictures. Here are my favorites:

cousins having fun
 
don't mess with these celebrities!

We're married!!!!
what's happening???



And now for the pros:




Sarah got the cake she came for!













Deb with Steve over her shoulder
After a fun time with my side of the family, we headed back to the cottage. Labor Day was spent paddling kayaks on the Westport River with cousins, Steve and Deb.  Then back to the cottage for some nourishment. Always good to catch up.

Tom and I in the double

Alan and Muriel, Tom's parents, flew to Providence to spend some time with us. We welcomed them with their favorite Westport dinner, grilled swordfish. 


Tom with his parents, Uncle Gordon (Muriel's brother) and Donna


Alan's brother, Dana, and his wife, Marion, also came to Westport while we were there! Hadn't seen them in many years. Lots of family connections on this home leave.

the brothers, Dana and Alan

the better halves, Marion and Muriel

what a crew!

Alicia agreed to join the photo shoot
Tom and I also enjoyed a walk on the beach. We met a woman and her son who made this sand sculpture. They returned to it daily to make any necessary repairs. The night after this picture was taken, we had torrential rains. Survival unknown.



It was the first time we saw a group of ducks playing in the ocean. They waited for the waves and then dove under - just like people! It also amused us because of the old shirt that Tom was wearing.  (leftover from synchro days)
shirt says "Go Ducks"
















 



We also met a man who had clearly spent a lot of time making sand sculptures. They weren't nearly as impressive as pictures of competitions I've seen, but they were the most elaborate I've ever seen in Westport.  

scraps of shells for teeth

Only one dinosaur, but plenty of sunbathers.


I can relate to out of control hair!



 

At Lynn's suggestion, I retraced my steps from February to compare the snowy pictures with the summer scene.  I should have reviewed my earlier photos before I took the second batch, but I did not. Things sure look different, but I do enjoy the changes of seasons. 

















Another improvement: trellises are now the originally intended white. The stained wood color was never a good idea and that contractor is history!
 













 















An interior improvement is the addition of artwork to our blank walls. We commissioned a local artist to make this collage of Westport scenes. We're very pleased with the result!


brother-in-law and Uncle Dale





Over my five weeks stateside, life was busy and full, although not always relaxing. We experienced the whole gamut of emotions from high to low. With heavy hearts, we were by Janis, Jess and Dale's sides to say goodbye to her husband and their father. He was a good man and will be missed by many.