Wednesday, February 17, 2016

More lessons in Swiss culture

Not quite a year ago, I wrote about a lesson in Swiss culture involving my neighbor and me practicing my euphonium (baritone horn). I have recently had another encounter.

I am very much aware of the allowed times for practice and stay within those hours. As I was minding my own business and finishing my warm-up around 5:30 one afternoon, the exterior doorbell rang. Looking into my screen where I can see whomever is in front of the outside camera, I could see my neighbor Nathalie. I knew she would only be ringing my bell about one thing: my practicing. She asked me to stop playing because she had a stressful day and she wanted quiet. Seriously! I told her it was an allowed time and she repeated. "Can I have one day with no music?" In the heat of the moment, I didn't think to say, "yes, every Sunday." No music is allowed then anyway. The conversation ended without me agreeing to anything. (just for the record, there are many days when I don't play my instrument in the apartment or at all!)

I called Tom at the office to see what he recommended. If we're going to have a feud, he at least needs to know and be prepared. He encouraged me to go back to my rightful practice time. I hadn't played more than another minute or two when she rang the outside bell again. I answered with "what is your problem?" She repeated her same request. By this time, I was so mad I was nearly shaking so any peaceful music wasn't going to happen anyway. I told her we would come down and speak to her when Tom came home.

We were able to walk down the two flights of stairs inside our building to her door. (yes, two flights. She does not live directly beneath us.) We did not go outside to ring the bell like she had done. She clearly had been trying to avoid speaking face to face. She admitted that she has no right to prohibit me from ever practicing (implying she would if she could), but she doesn't like music. Tom said "you don't like music?" "Not that music." She repeated that she'd had a stressful day, but we did not agree to change anything. I am not going to plan my practice around when she is out of the building. I will abide by the rules (including not playing during the holy lunch break), but not bend over backwards for her.

We considered advising the landlord as we did the last time, but opted against it. I've made a note of when this happened. If she tries it again, I will not answer the door, but will instead  advise the landlord.  

 
finally create security!
This event happened to coincide with plenty of political advertising for the upcoming referendum vote. People can send in their ballots any day before the February 28, 2016 deadline. Of course, all people living in Switzerland want it to be a safe, secure place to live and work. From a glance, sending foreigners who are criminals back to where they come from might sound good.  But who is a criminal? Could be me! You could be sent packing after something as minor as two infractions or fines not being paid. (speeding ticket for instance or maybe even too much noise in the apartment) This could happen to any foreigner - even if the rest of your family is here or if your spouse is Swiss. You would also not be allowed back in Switzerland to visit them. Being an outsider here is not always a comfortable place to be. Do you think Nathalie dislikes my playing because I'm a foreigner? I think it sure doesn't help, but I'll never know.


hopefully the "Neins" will win!

Don't ruin our Switzerland.  
We work together, Swiss and foreigners. The law should stay the same for all of us.
NEIN





My fingers are crossed for a "nein" victory on February 28th! 

One other anecdote to share:
Swiss are known for telling people when they are doing something wrong (crossing the street when the traffic light says not to even if no cars are around, recycling on Sunday). Rules are more important than common sense. I had not experienced this personally until I was driving to tennis last week. The tennis club has parking spots in front, but not enough for the number of people that could be there at one time. There is a store across the street with a large parking lot where we've been told we may park when the tennis spots are full. The road leading to this spot is a dead end. 

As I was approaching, I slowed considerably to determine if any of the furthest spots were free. They were not and I turned left into the store parking lot at the same time the car behind me honked. I immediately knew what the problem was. I had not used my blinker. I had considered it, but is it good to signal right and then go left? Going slowly is normal when approaching parking. With it being a dead end, I had no need to go faster. I parked my car and could see that the driver of the other car got out of his car and stood there looking at mine without going in the store. I didn't get out until one of my tennis partners arrived and approached my car. At that point, he was standing at the back of the car with his hatch open. Inside was a huge dog. I would guess the only reason to open the car was as an intimidation factor. He yelled over something to me in Swiss German which I really didn't care about. Margaret asked him what he said and he told us there were schools where I could go to learn to use my turn signal. This seriously happened! 

For sure there are plenty of wonderful Swiss people and I am lucky to have met some of them. Then there are others who need to get over themselves and find something else to do besides watch or listen to everyone else!